A beautiful, radiant smile can boost anyone’s confidence and overall well-being. And a beautiful smile is important for a lasting first impression. Therefore, orthodontic treatments have come a long way for those seeking an enhanced smile. With innovative technologies and techniques, patients have more options than ever to straighten their teeth discreetly and efficiently.
Innovations in Dental Technology an…
The American Association of Orthodontists reports that more than 4 million people in the U.S. are currently undergoing orthodontic treatment. For residents of Clovis looking to improve their dental alignment and appearance, an exciting array of advanced orthodontic solutions awaits.
With so many options, the path to a desirable smile is easier than ever. If you seek to correct bite issues, close gaps, or just improve the alignment or appearance of your teeth, orthodontists have the tools, technology, and experience to transform smiles.
Best Orthodontic Treatment
Getting braces and undergoing orthodontic treatment can be a big decision. When looking for the best orthodontic treatment, you must find an experienced orthodontist you can trust. Moreover, you need to be aware of the costs of specific treatments in your state or city. In Clovis, California, for instance, the average cost of metal braces falls between $3,000 and $7,000, while the cost of Invisalign ranges from $4,000 to $8,000.
Make sure the clinic you select offers a variety of treatments, such as traditional metal braces, clear aligners, and lingual braces. Also, make sure they use advanced technology like digital X-rays and 3D imaging. The orthodontists should also be board-certified and members of the American Association of Orthodontists.
If you reside in Clovis, consider visiting DF Orthodontics. Their team checks all the boxes, offers flexible payment plans, and works with most insurance providers. Hence, when looking for the best orthodontic treatment in Clovis, DF Orthodontics is a great choice, with experienced orthodontists providing customized care.
8 Advancements in Orthodontic Treatments
1. Traditional Braces
Metal or ceramic brackets are still the most common type of braces. The brackets are glued to the front surface of each tooth and connected with a wire that gradually shifts teeth into proper alignment.
Improvements to traditional braces include smaller, lower-profile brackets, lighter archwires for more constant force, and self-ligating brackets. It doesn’t require elastic bands, increasing comfort and efficiency. However, it requires somewhat intensive at-home maintenance.
2. Clear Aligners
Clear aligners like Invisalign are a popular alternative to traditional braces, using sets of custom-made, removable plastic trays to shift teeth into place gradually. Patients switch to a new tray, wearing each set for 1-2 weeks until teeth reach the desired positions. Clear aligners are more comfortable, less noticeable, and easier to keep clean than traditional braces.
However, they may not work for all severe orthodontic issues and require discipline to keep trays 22 hours a day. With advanced 3D modeling technology, clear aligners can produce results comparable to braces for patients seeking mild to moderate teeth alignment correction.
3. Lingual Braces
Lingual braces are attached behind the teeth rather than in the front, making them completely invisible. Custom-designed brackets are bonded to the back of each tooth and joined together by wires. It applies calculated pressure to straighten teeth over time. The treatment plan is usually for 12-36 months.
Patients must adapt their cleaning routine and speech, but the invisibility of lingual braces makes them an excellent option for many. Due to modern bonding techniques and advances in customization, lingual braces are less invasive and time-consuming to apply than in the past.
4. Accelerated Treatment Times
New techniques are reducing overall braces treatment time, such as AcceleDent, which uses soft micro pulses of force to stimulate faster tooth movement safely. The average time spent in traditional braces is just 16-18 months.
Careful monitoring through more frequent orthodontic adjustments with proactive wire changes keeps treatment moving along at an expedited yet controlled pace for a timely finish. Some children may also benefit from early interceptive orthodontic treatment around ages 7 to 11 to correct bite issues and avoid more extensive treatment later. Early diagnosis of orthodontic problems and interceptive treatment can reduce the eventual need for extraction. It also helps prevent more serious issues from developing down the line.
5. Improved Imaging Technology
- 3D oral scanners create highly precise digital maps and models of the teeth and jaws. Hence, it leads to enhanced diagnosis and better treatment planning, especially where clear aligners are concerned. The advanced level of accuracy in these scans leads to a precise fit and customized design.
- In modern computer imaging, 3D scans, dental X-rays, and intraoral photos are all combined to make realistic models and projections of how the teeth will move during the proposed orthodontic treatment. This evolving technology improves the predictability of expected outcomes and reduces the need for revisions or mid-course corrections during treatment.
6. Comfort and Convenience
- Nickel-titanium archwires are lighter and apply a gentler, more constant pressure on the teeth to shift their positions, leading to less pain or irritation. Clear aligner trays are removable for eating, drinking, brushing, and flossing, offering more freedom and flexibility than fixed braces.
- Orthodontic wax cushions and pads can be applied to traditional brace brackets to reduce friction against the cheeks. Plastic bite ramps also shield brackets from the opposing teeth. Tiny bonded power ridges and surgical mini-implants provide stable anchor points for more efficient tooth movement through an archwire without reciprocal force.
7. Aesthetic Options
- Clear or tooth-colored ceramic brackets blend in much better aesthetically than metal brackets. Clear aligner trays are barely visible, allowing patients to smile with confidence throughout the treatment.
- Gold-colored brackets offer a more subtle metallic look for those who want to avoid traditional silver-colored braces. Colorful rubber bands, ligatures, and archwires allow for added customization and personalization of braces.
8. Retention Methods
- Clear overlay retainers like Vivera are removable, thin plastic trays that fit tightly over the teeth to hold them in position after removing braces. This type of retainer is nearly invisible and can be taken out for eating, brushing, and other activities. However, the tradeoff is that clear overlay retainers must be worn consistently for teeth to stay in corrected positions.
Orthodontists have access to various new technologies and techniques to enhance smiles. With shorter treatment times, advanced computer imaging, clear aligner options, and subtle tooth-colored brackets, achieving an amazing smile is faster, more comfortable, and more convenient than ever. Today’s invisible, removable, and customized orthodontic solutions transform lives by boosting confidence and making beautiful, straight smiles.
(function(d, s, id)
var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s);
js = d.createElement(s);
js.id = id;
js.src = “//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&appId=1665487077065548&version=v2.0”;
(document, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));